A few weeks ago we reached out to Dirty Kanza’s founder Jim Cummins as to the potential cancellation or rescheduling of the gravel race.
Today, we learned the answer to our inquiry. The Garmin Dirty Kanza is electing to take the safer approach and not contribute to community spread of COVID-19, with the hopes that by September such gatherings are safer.
The new rescheduled date is September 12, 2020, the same weekend as the UCI Supercross cyclocross races, as well as the newly relocated Grinduro by California’s Mt. Shasta.
In a way, it’s just like old times, when Dirty Kanza and Norcal’s Lost and Found shared the same weekends, forcing racers to pick between two premier events in Kansas and California.
Speaking of the Lost and Found gravel race, it is still technically scheduled for June 6 as of March 16, it still seems like an unlikely scenario given the coronavirus pandemic.
See the official announcement from Lifetime and Dirty Kanza below.
The entire Dirty Kanza team has been working around the clock in order to make the best and most prudent decision for all of our athletes, volunteers, sponsors, vendors and the members of the Emporia community. It is with everyone’s health and safety in mind that we are postponing the Garmin Dirty Kanza and Garmin Dirty Kanza XL presented by Salsa and moving the 2020 event to September 10th – 13th, with race day being Saturday, September 12th. It is our hope that we can all continue doing our part to “flatten the curve” and can bring you all to Emporia in the fall. We will continue to work with local and regional health officials, as we have been doing, to monitor this ongoing situation.
The decision to postpone has not been made lightly, and we understand that you will undoubtedly have questions. Below, you will find answers to anticipated questions in light of this postponement. Please take a moment to read through the FAQs. Should you have any questions after reading this page, do not hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected]. As always, we are here for you and want to make this transition as smooth as possible. We ask for your patience and grace as we all navigate these challenging times together.
We are providing all 2020 registered riders with the following 3 options from which to select:
Option 1 – Stay the course – keep your current entry and we will move you to the September 2020 event. You don’t need to do anything but keep training.
Option 2 – Defer your current entry to our 2021 event, at no additional cost. You have until May 15th to select this option.
Option 3 – Receive a refund for your 2020 entry. You have until May 15th to select this option.
See the Dirty Kanza website to process a refund.