UCI honours the best of 2019 at Cycling Gala
Oct 23 2019 02:24 am CET
The fifth edition of the UCI Cycling Gala took place in Guilin, China, on the last day of the 2019 calendar.
The Gala honoured the teams, riders and fans that stood out during the 2019 cycling season, including the road World Champions Mads Pedersen (Trek-Segafredo) and Annemiek van Vleuten (Mitchelton-Scott). Just like the last two years, the UCI Cycling Gala took place on the same day as the last stage of the men’s Tour of Guangxi and the Tour of Guangxi Women’s WorldTour.
During the ceremony, not only the World Champions were honoured but also the riders that topped the UCI Individual Rankings, the athletes crowned at the UCI Para-cycling World Championships in Emmen, the Netherlands, and the new holder of the hour record Victor Campenaerts.
A Fans’ Award was attributed -based on a vote done through the UCI Facebook page- to the viral video of the season which is known as the ‘Beefeaters’ sequence’ that shows a group of British fans leading a multi-national group of spectators in a impromptu dance to a Dutch Eurodance song during the 18th stage of the Tour de France.
The UCI also honoured Greg LeMond in celebration of the 30th anniversary of his historical UCI Road World Championships – Tour de France double, achieved in 1989. “I would like to warmly congratulate everyone who received an award during this magnificent ceremony,” said UCI President David Lappartient. “All made a major contribution to the success of the past season, and we look forward to seeing them on the roads again in 2020. I would also like to thank our partner Wanda Sports for the organisation of the 2019 UCI Cycling Gala, as well as the Chinese Cycling Association for its support.
“The UCI Cycling Gala acknowledges the achievement of the past season, but also, from this year, a champion who has written some of the best pages of our sport’s history. This symbolises the nature of road cycling which is as popular as ever and as enthusiastic about its future as it is attached to its heritage.”
List of 2019 UCI Cycling Gala award winners:
2019 UCI Road World Championships, Yorkshire (Great Britain)
– Men Elite road race UCI World Champion: Mads Pedersen (DEN)
– Women Elite road race UCI World Champion: Annemiek van Vleuten (NED)
– Men Elite individual time trial UCI World Champion: Rohan Dennis (AUS)
– Women Elite individual time trial UCI World Champion: Chloé Dygert (USA)
– Team time trial mixed relay UCI World Champions: the Netherlands.
2019 UCI World Ranking (Men)
– Best rider: Primož Rogli? (SLO)
– Best team: Deceuninck – Quick-Step (BEL)
2019 UCI Women’s WorldTour
– Best rider: Marianne Vos (NED)
– Best young rider: Lorena Wiebes (NED)
– Best team: Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED)
2019 para-cycling season
– Best handbike (H) division athlete: Andrea Eskau (GER)
– Best tricycle (T) division athlete: Jianxin Chen (CHN)
– Best cycle (C) division athlete: Ricardo Ten (ESP)
– Best tandem (B) division athlete: Emma Foy et Hannah Van Kampen (NZL)
UCI Hour Record timed by Tissot
Victor Campenaerts (BEL) – 55.089km on 16 April 2019 in Aguascalientes (Mexico)
UCI President’s Award
Greg LeMond (USA), for the 30th anniversary of his UCI Road World Championships – Tour de France double
Beefeaters’ sequence (at the 18th stage of the 2019 Tour de France).